MedEx Academy Nurse Extern Program
The Nurse Extern Program, a 10-week summer program offered at Prisma Health in the Midlands and Upstate, is designed to provide rising senior undergraduate nursing students with the opportunity for real-world immersion within acute care at a premier academic medical center. This program provides an opportunity for nursing students to improve their clinical knowledge and skills while establishing relationships with Prisma Health leaders.
Prisma Health nurse externs are assigned to a registered nurse mentor to gain valuable clinical knowledge and experiences. In addition to clinical bedside experience, enhancement opportunities are interwoven within each clinical assignment and may include access to specialty areas, exposure to nurses in advanced practice roles, and educational classes provided by subject matter experts.
- Program Dates: Mid-May through the end of July
- Clinical Hours: 36-hours per week clinical rotation, shift may vary. Students enrolled in nursing school courses over the summer are offered a modified program working one 12-hour shift per week.
- Prisma Health Preceptor: Externs are assigned to an RN mentor for clinical assignment and work the schedule of that mentor to include any weekend or holidays, as applicable.
- Extras: Paid program with integrated support, education and simulation opportunities provided at no cost.
Eligibility and Qualifications
- Rising senior enrolled in an accredited Associate or Bachelor of Science nursing program
- Anticipated graduation date within 12 months of Extern Program start date
- Successful completion of at least one clinical nursing course
- Preferred cumulative collegiate GPA of at least 3.0
- Current AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers certification
Application coming soon!
Please download, complete and scan a completed consent form into the designated field in the application. You will need a parent/guardian to complete the Parental form if you are not yet 21 years old.