Neurology Residency Greer
109 Physician Drive
Greer, SC 29650
Program Overview and Objectives
Welcome to Prisma Health/University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville Neurology Residency Program. Established in 2020, the program is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), emphasizing a multidisciplinary approach to the core competencies of patient care, medical knowledge, practice-based learning and improvement, interpersonal skills and communication, professionalism and systems-based practice.
Our staff and teachers will help train the next generation of physicians to provide full spectrum neurological care and to be innovators of patient care, teaching and discovering new treatments and techniques to help conquer neurological diseases.
Our curriculum is designed to ensure residents get a robust education and exposure to the diversity of neurologic care. As a categorical program, our residents spend their PGY 1 year with our Greenville Internal Medicine program getting a well-rounded intern experience. Our PGY 1 residents also participate in Neurology Continuity Clinics and start to build their own clinic base. Transitioning to PGY 2 year, our residents begin with a Neurology Boot Camp designed to review the basics and initiate residents to the neurology curriculum. We expose the residents to the breadth of inpatient and outpatient neurology subspecialties in their PGY 2 year to build a solid foundation in neurology. The PGY 3 curriculum is designed to build on the foundation established in PGY 2 and delve deeper into the various neurology subspecialties. Finally, in PGY 4, the curriculum is designed to transition residents to independently practicing neurologists.
Our primary objective is to educate and teach the skills required for our residents to become leaders in their field. We, as a program, will promote compassion and interpersonal skills to coincide with the knowledge base that not only lets you grow into the best doctors you can be but also the best people. Our secondary objective is to foster friendships and relationships you can carry with you beyond residency and into the future.
- Categorical four-year program with six residents per year (24 total)
- Well-rounded clinical curriculum with a balance of inpatient and outpatient rotations
- Protected time for weekly didactics and Neuro Boot Camp to ease transition into PGY 2 year
- Robust mentorship program and wellness focus with annual resident retreat (PGY 2-4)
- State of the art Clinical Simulation Lab to learn procedures and clinical skills
- Inpatient rotations at Prisma Health Greenville Memorial Hospital
- 820-bed Comprehensive Stroke Center and Level 1 Trauma Center
- Mix of primary and consult patients on our 3 inpatient teams
- Stroke Team
- General Neurology Team
- Neurocritical Care Team