Orthopedic Surgery Residency Greenville - Director's Welcome
Thank you for your interest in the Orthopedic Surgery Residency Program here at Prisma Health. The Orthopedic Surgery program is a fully accredited ACGME program that accepts four categorical residents per year. Our three major strengths include our residents, our staff and our location.
We have a diverse group of residents that hail from all four corners of the United States that have interesting life stories that have taken many of them off the beaten path into business startups, wildlife adventures and cross-country bike rides before starting their residency careers.
They have developed a palpably strong family culture that is easily evident to all. If they choose to continue their postgraduate education, we place our residents into the finest fellowships in the country. We also are proud to be one of the few programs that continue to train residents that are comfortable enough to pursue private practice without a fellowship.
The second strength is our faculty. We offer board-certified staff in all of the subspecialties of orthopedic surgery right here at Prisma Health. With nearly 30 operative orthopedic and neurosurgeons involved with our resident education, we have struck the perfect balance of academic subspecialists and the community generalist. Further details include:
- Wide breadth of surgical cases and the associated volumes of these cases place our graduates among the nation’s most experienced residents after their five years in training.
- Includes sports medicine coverage of the Division I collegiate program at Clemson University.
- Our staff is integral to the didactic lecture series boasting national lecturers right here at Prisma Health. Most lectures are given by faculty to the residents.
- Our attending staff has been known to spearhead some of the department fun and camaraderie including:
- Outings to our regional lakes
- Events at our region’s award-winning golf courses
- Dining at some of the finest restaurants around
- Annual Homerun Derby at our Greenville Drive stadium
The last strength of the program is the city of Greenville itself. Tucked away in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Greenville has been called:
- The 50 Best Places to Travel in 2022 (Travel + Leisure)
- South's Best Cities on the Rise (Southern Living) 2022
- Small US Cities with Big Art Scenes (CondeNast Traveler) 2022
- Best Riverwalks in the US (Fodor's) 2021
- America's Best Small Cities, BestCities.org, 2020
- Best Small Cities in the U.S., Conde Nast, 2019
- Top 100 Best Places to Live #10, Livability, 2019
- Best Place to Live in the USA #22, U.S News and World Report, 2019
- Best Places to Live, Money, 2019
- Ninth Best Park in the United States. (Falls Park), Trip Advisor, 2014
- Fifth Best Cycling Towns in America, USA Today, 2014
- City of Greenville Awards
- Greenville in the News
Here, residents enjoy buying their own homes, short travel times to mountains, foothills, the beach and four distinct seasons.
We hope that we have piqued your interest in our program and that you will come to explore what we have to offer.